Previously we reported about the slave trade in Libya, which was exposed through exclusive footage released by CNN. The disturbing footage showed African migrants being sold for as little as $400, causing Libyan authorities to launch an investigation into the slave auctions.
Since then, this horrific act has gained attention throughout social media and many other media platforms.
According to KTLA5, the United Nations-backed Libyan Government of National Accord, or GNA addressed the situation in a statement and said, Libya “is going through difficult times which affected its own citizens as well. It is, therefore, not fair to assume responsibility for the consequences of this immigration, which everyone unanimously agreed that addressing this phenomenon exceeds the national capacities.”
The statement continued, “We affirm again that the practical solution is to address the real reasons that drive people to leave their home countries, treat them and develop final solutions for them.”
On Tuesday, Libya’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said a committee has been formed to investigate the auctions but has asked “the international community to intensify in a spirit of responsibility and joint cooperation to assist Libya.”
Last Saturday, hundreds of protesters demonstrated in front of the Libyan Embassy in Paris.
Check out more details here.