We are quickly approaching the two-year anniversary of Prince’s death.
On Thursday, Carver County Attorney Mark Metz said in a press conference Prince died of an accidental fentanyl overdose, and charges will not be filed in the investigation of his death.
According to Variety, the investigation into how Prince obtained the highly addictive pills is now closed. He had taken counterfeit pills that that were laced with fentanyl before his passing.
Metz said, “Prince had no idea he was taking a counterfeit pill that could kill him.”
Evidence showed that Prince thought he was taking Vicodin, not fentanyl.
During the press conference, it was mentioned there was no evidence on how Prince obtained the painkiller, which is why no charges will be filed.
Hours before the press conference, the Minnesota doctor who was accused of illegally prescribing Prince the pills agreed to settle a federal civil violation by paying $30,000.
The doctor had seen the singer twice in the weeks before his death.
It was also announced that there was no evidence showing that the people in Prince’s camp knew he had counterfeit pills containing fentanyl.