Head of Content
Los Angeles, CA, Atlanta, GA or New York, NY
Founded in 2014, The Shade Room (TSR) has grown into a leading media powerhouse for breaking news and a trailblazer for reporting all things pop culture. TSR combines investigative entertainment journalism from our writers with crowdsourced journalism from our Roommates to operate a 24/7 news outlet. Our strong community of followers allows us to break away from traditional news delivery by reaching readers directly through their social networks.
As we continue to grow, we are always looking for the best and brightest talent with big ideas. From Social Media content to Video Production, we thrive on creativity! If this sounds like you, we hope you’ll join us.
The Head of Content directs and oversees all content created across the company’s multiple platforms including editorial, social and video.
To be successful in this position, the Head of Content must be autonomous and have experience working in a small business environment. This person must be a creative visionary with the ability to manage multiple departments (editorial, social, video), teams, and budgets. The ideal Head of Content will have experience in digital media, news media and entertainment industries.
- Oversees all content across TSR platforms including editorial, social, and video.
- Works with other department heads to ensure content team is fully aligned with company goals.
- Develops comprehensive content strategy that aligns editorial and video and supports audience growth as well as advertising and marketing initiatives.
- Manages team of leaders in both editorial and video and acts as a liaison between the team and CEO/Founder.
- Ensures all content is on-brand in terms of style, voice, etc. across TSR platforms.
- Develops a functional content calendar for both editorial and video and identifies leaders to own areas of execution to prevent confusion.
- Collaborates with sales and marketing teams to create tentpole sponsorship opportunities for future TSR campaigns.
- Works directly with audience development agency to ensure YOY traffic growth for website and social media.
- Maintains best practices for images across all platforms, SEO best practices, as well as best practices for all social media platforms and video production.
- Works with video leadership to create a slate of content across platforms and execute according to company goals.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Proven editorial skills.
- Ability to lead and inspire team of creative personnel.
- Leadership and goal setting skills.
- Understanding of web and social analytics tools.
- Ability to adapt in ever-evolving industry.
- Knowledge of CMS platforms such as WordPress.
- Skill at both long-form, short-form and real-time content creation.
- Excellent management and supervisory skills.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Flexibility in managing multiple responsibilities and assignments simultaneously; ability to meet deadlines; experience managing both urgent, short-term projects, and complex, longer-term projects.
- Legal right to work in the US.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, marketing, communications or equivalent experience. Master’s degree preferred. Minimum of 10 years of experience as a respected leader in multi-platform content creation preferably in the digital media industry. Experience in a senior management position. Proficiency in major business software applications such as Adobe, Microsoft Office, etc. Experience in hiring, managing, performance reviews, etc. required. Experience working for a startup/small business highly preferred.
The Shade Room is a fully remote work environment with a wonderful team of hardworking, innovative and creative people. Our benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401K, 401K match, sick time and paid time off!
This is a full-time exempt position. The salary range is $150,000 – 170,000 a year. Compensation will be based off of experience and local cost of living.
The Shade Room provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristics protected by the federal, state or local laws. The Shade Room is an at-will employer.