Managing Director, TSR Studios
Remote - Los Angeles, CA or Atlanta, GA
Founded in 2014, The Shade Room (TSR) has grown into a leading media powerhouse for breaking news and a trailblazer for reporting all things pop culture. TSR combines investigative entertainment journalism from our writers with crowdsourced journalism from our Roommates to operate a 24/7 news outlet. Our strong community of followers allows us to break away from traditional news delivery by reaching readers directly through their social networks.
As we continue to grow, we are always looking for the best and brightest talent with big ideas. From Social Media content to Video Production, we thrive on creativity! If this sounds like you, we hope you’ll join us.
The Managing Director, TSR Studios will oversee the creative vision and help with the growth of video content produced by The Shade Room across the digital ecosystem. Reporting to the Head of Content, this role will help develop and lead the long-term creative vision for video content development and will oversee all facets of operations for this team.
The Managing Director will be responsible for building and fostering a production team and scaling end-to-end processes to support, schedule, and optimize the distribution of multi-platform digital video.
The ideal person for this position must have extensive experience and knowledge in multi-platform video distribution including YouTube, OTT Apps, social media, and owned and operated properties.
- Oversee development and production process, constantly improving quality and efficiency and provide best-in-class solutions.
- Manage and guide team of producers to plan series, segments, guests, and themes to execute, in collaboration with theshaderoom.com and social media teams.
- Oversee production calendar – (pre-production, production, post/delivery)
- Directly manage TSR Studio operating budget.
- Manage internal video content management and content planning and tracking systems.
- Identify and manage production budgets alongside
- Provide editorial, production, and creative guidance for the current and future video series.
- Recruit, mentor and develop full-time and contract production staff.
- Establish and report on monthly, quarterly, and yearly progress towards goals and elevate production or development issues to Head of Content.
- Review content, quality, and production of program segments to ensure consistency with the same standards and practices.
- Resolve day-to-day production team issues and concerns with constructive solutions.
- Provide content updates and communicate to other key departments including Editorial, Social Media Content, Ad Sales/Revenue, and Marketing.
- Ensure content ladders up to company goals and KPIs.
- Analyze the results of work to learn from pilot tests and improve TSR series, particularly regarding audience response and performance metrics.
- Develop efficiencies for processes to enable the team to function at highest efficiency.
- Partner with 3rd party analytics agency to test new platform optimization tactics to increase viewership and monetization efforts.
- Foster a collaborative and inclusive culture by following and enforce The Shade Room’s policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Deep understanding of The Shade Room’s brands, businesses and audience.
- Loves and understands Black culture across the diaspora.
- Passion and successful track of launching and building video content and series franchises.
- Strong storytelling and hands-on production skills including show running experience.
- Willingness to travel for work related productions.
- Strong ability to facilitate constructive conversations and values diverse perspectives to ensure compelling ideas are shared.
- A strategic thinker and doer that actively participates in bringing great ideas to life and maintains a strong balance between creative vision and project management skills.
- A strong collaborator with the ability to create a positive environment, works well with others and bring multiple stakeholders together to accomplish amazing results.
- Strong relationships with production houses, talent, producers, and editors.
- Strong quantitative skills used for monitoring and improving both systems and processes.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams to drive towards a single goal.
- Ability to tackle problems in a dynamic and deadline-driven environment.
- Self-starter with a strong ability to manage through ambiguity.
- Ability to allocate resources according to content and production schedules.
- Deep understanding of YouTube Channel Management.
- Proven ability to use data to evaluate team and tactic effectiveness.
- Flexibility in managing multiple responsibilities and assignments simultaneously; ability to meet deadlines; experience managing both urgent, short-term projects, and complex, longer-term projects.
- Legal right to work in the US.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree in journalism, mass communications, film, marketing or related field preferred. Minimum of 10 years of experience at a digital content, network, or production company. 5+ years of experience managing, developing, and mentoring direct reports. Experience working for a small company, a plus.
The Shade Room is a fully remote work environment with a wonderful team of hardworking, innovative and creative people. Our benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401K, 401K match, sick time and paid time off!
This is a full-time exempt position. The salary range is $130,000 – 145,000 a year. Compensation will be based off of experience and local cost of living.
The Shade Room provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristics protected by the federal, state or local laws. The Shade Room is an at-will employer.