Managing Editor, TheShadeRoom.com
Remote - CA, NY, NJ, TX, GA, NC or MD
Founded in 2014, The Shade Room (TSR) has grown into a leading media powerhouse for breaking news and a trailblazer for reporting all things pop culture. TSR combines investigative entertainment journalism from our writers with crowdsourced journalism from our Roommates to operate a 24/7 news outlet. Our strong community of followers allows us to break away from traditional news delivery by reaching readers directly through their social networks.
As we continue to grow, we are always looking for the best and brightest talent with big ideas. From Social Media content to Video Production, we thrive on creativity! If this sounds like you, we hope you’ll join us.
Reporting to the Head of Content, the Managing Editor, TheShadeRoom.com is responsible for leading and developing theshaderoom.com team. This role will create effective news strategies to hit TheShadeRoom.com’s traffic targets, meet set milestones and guide featured content to align with The Shade Room brand.
- Lead, develop and manage theshaderoom.com team of editors, writers and reporters.
- Oversee programming of The Shade Room’s weekly newsletter.
- Conceive, implement and measure editorial pieces on a daily basis.
- Organize editorial brainstorms, manage editorial calendar and coordinate daily and weekly lineups.
- Create and maintain a set of reference guides and resources (style guide, posting best practices – tagging, feature types, content channels), as well as any other centralized resources to ensure editorial consistency.
- Maintain relationships with external (PR) and internal teams (social media) to brief and manage original content for distribution.
- Work with other departments in the company, 3rd party analytics/SEO agencies and legal consultants.
- Assist in maximizing editorial and sales opportunities that help achieve business goals.
- Launch, grow and manage channels where relevant, ensuring milestones are set and met.
- Identify emerging trends and subjects that The Shade Room can grow into, in order to expand our audience reach and strategize growth.
- Execute website publishing strategies while ensuring all posts are accurate, punctual, efficient, safe and on brand.
- Manage daily website communication such as consumer responses, sentiment analysis and inquiries.
- Work on strategic partnership opportunities with brands and platforms.
- Report on campaigns and augment based on analysis to ensure the most effective approach.
- Work closely with social media director(s) and Head of TSR Studios to explore creative synergy, collaboration and opportunities for cross-pollination of produced content.
- Program TheShadeRoom.com home page.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Understand and loves Black culture across the diaspora.
- Familiarity with the brands and businesses of The Shade Room.
- Proficient in WordPress and Google Analytics.
- Passionate and knowledgeable about creating editorial content focused on celeb news, world news, entertainment, lifestyle and Black culture.
- Deep ability to collect, analyze and use website data to affect change.
- Inclusive leadership style that garners respect and trust across internal and external stakeholders.
- Willingness to work outside of traditional work hours to accommodate breaking news and other major cultural events.
- The ability to manage, mentor and grow a small team.
- An understanding of the internet and its various platforms and systems, including social media, SEO, and Google Trends.
- Detailed knowledge and expertise around all digital platforms with significant contacts at all major platforms.
- Written and oral communication skills with an emotionally intelligent communication style.
- Ability to work independently with minimal to no supervision.
- Relationship management; networking skills with the ability to cultivate strong professional relationships with internal and external partners.
- Team-player mindset.
- Top-notch time management skills.
- Flexibility in managing a heavy workload with multiple responsibilities and assignments simultaneously; ability to meet deadlines; experience managing both urgent, short-term projects, and complex, longer-term projects.
- Legal right to work in the US.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, Journalism or related field, preferred. Minimum seven (7) years of website, publishing, editorial content creation and distribution required (brand or agency). A minimum of two (2) years of experience managing a minimum team size of three (3) or more employees. Experience in managing teams across various time zones in a remote work environment a plus.
The Shade Room is a fully remote work environment with a wonderful team of hardworking, innovative and creative people. Our benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401K, 401K match, sick time and paid time off!
This is a full-time and exempt position. Salary range is $85,000 – $95,000 a year. Compensation will be based off of experience and local cost of living.
The Shade Room provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristics protected by the federal, state or local laws. The Shade Room is an at-will employer.