Motion GFX Designer
Remote - CA, NY, NJ, TX, GA, NC or MD
Founded in 2014, The Shade Room (TSR) has grown into a leading media powerhouse for breaking news and a trailblazer for reporting all things pop culture. TSR combines investigative entertainment journalism from our writers with crowdsourced journalism from our Roommates to operate a 24/7 news outlet. Our strong community of followers allows us to break away from traditional news delivery by reaching readers directly through their social networks.
As we continue to grow, we are always looking for the best and brightest talent with big ideas. From Social Media content to Video Production, we thrive on creativity! If this sounds like you, we hope you’ll join us.
The Motion GFX Designer is responsible for handling the design and motion graphics needs of The Shade Room and The Shade Room Teens. This includes designing visual branding elements, creating logos and title designs, infographic animations, animation as well as visual effects.
Reporting to the Head of Content, the Motion GFX Designer does more than bring graphics to life. This position requires strong creative background to create powerful visual stories that capture our audience (The Roommates) and leaves them wanting more. This position will help push our visual brand language to the next level.
- Create and deliver motion graphics for various media.
- Editing video footage and adding effects/elements to enhance motion graphics
- Partner with other content team members, key cross departmental stakeholders, and third-party producers to create content used across a variety of platforms (web, mobile, video, and more).
- Meet with internal teams, to understand needs and share ideas.
- Collaborate with social media content producers, video editors and producers to ensure creative content is produced with our brand, goals, and schedule in mind.
- Respond to user feedback, data/analytics, and content leadership feedback to improve the creative work in future iterations.
- Aid in the creation of editorial, brand and marketing collateral.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of 3D motion graphics and/or editorial skills are a huge plus.
- Familiarity with the brands and businesses of The Shade Room.
- Loves and understands Black culture across the diaspora.
- Be a great communicator with the ability to receive and interpret feedback.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment and have strong project management skills.
- Flexibility in managing multiple responsibilities and assignments simultaneously; ability to meet deadlines; experience managing both urgent, short-term projects, and complex, longer-term projects.
- Legal right to work in the US.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Degree in visual communications, graphic design, motion graphics, interactive media, or relevant experience. 5+ years of design-related experience. Proficient in Adobe After Effects, Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Illustrator, Adobe Animate or similar tools.
*Please include links to your online portfolio highlighting your best work, including motion design and animation examples.*
The Shade Room is a fully remote work environment with a wonderful team of hardworking, innovative and creative people. Our benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401K, 401K match, sick time and paid time off!
This is a full-time (40 hours), nonexempt position. The hourly pay rate is $38.46 – $43.26/hour ($80,000 – $90,000 annualized). Compensation will be based off of experience and local cost of living.
The Shade Room provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristics protected by the federal, state or local laws. The Shade Room is an at-will employer.