Sr. Editor, TheShadeRoom.com
Remote - CA, NY, NJ, TX, GA, NC VA, DC, NC, FL or MD
Founded in 2014, The Shade Room (TSR) has grown into a leading media powerhouse for breaking news and a trailblazer for reporting all things pop culture. TSR combines investigative entertainment journalism from our writers with crowdsourced journalism from our Roommates to operate a 24/7 news outlet. Our strong community of followers allows us to break away from traditional news delivery by reaching readers directly through their social networks.
As we continue to grow, we are always looking for the best and brightest talent with big ideas. From Social Media content to Video Production, we thrive on creativity! If this sounds like you, we hope you’ll join us.
*PLEASE INCLUDE A LINK TO YOUR PREVIOUS WORK ON YOUR RESUME*
The Senior Editor for TheShadeRoom.com will conceive, assign, and edit ambitious and topical journalism that covers a wide range of topics that intrigue and engage our audience.
Reporting to the Managing Editor, the person in this role loves making features and entertainment service journalism pop! The ideal candidate is well organized and highly skilled at editing a variety of story forms, including news, feature stories, personal narratives, and profiles.
This role requires precision, attention to detail, understanding of deadlines, the ability to lead a project, and to work with a team. It also requires creativity. This role will regularly work independently and exercise a significant degree of news judgment and editorial discretion.
- Assist Managing Editor with managing team of editors, staff writers and news reporters.
- Assign, shape, and edit several stories a week.
- Work collaboratively with the social media and video producers.
- Work jointly with the Managing Editor to plan the editorial direction and workflow.
- Generate fresh story ideas.
- Ensure editorial content is SEO friendly.
- Exercise news judgement and use in-house analytics tools to ensure that the digital team is optimizing headlines, sub-decks.
- Apply quality control efforts to ensure the team produces the most engaging copy.
- Work with content team to ensure each story published has the most compelling selection of images, animation, and video available.
- Work with the Managing Editor to plan and execute ambitious projects and features.
- Manage and mentor other journalists and junior staffers.
- Build a network of freelance writers.
- Collaborate with graphic designers on editorial projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A strong background writing entertainment, pop culture, and celebrity content in a fast-paced digital news setting, demonstrated experience creating timely content under deadline pressure.
- Ability to use data analytics to contribute to editorial strategy and inform content decisions.
- Comfortable working with data team to run custom analyses.
- Familiar with AP Style.
- Proficient in all English grammar, punctuation, and spelling rules
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (ie, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Flexibility in managing multiple responsibilities and assignments simultaneously; ability to meet deadlines; experience managing both urgent, short-term projects, and complex, longer-term projects.
- Legal right to work in the US.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Marketing, Advertising or a related field preferred. At least 6 years of experience writing for established digital outlets, including publishing within a CMS; at least 1-2 years of experience editing and managing other writers. Experience using Parse.ly and Omniture, preferred.
The Shade Room is a fully remote work environment with a wonderful team of hardworking, innovative and creative people. Our benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401K, 401K match, sick time and paid time off!
This is a full-time and nonexempt position. The hourly rate is $33.65 – $38.46 ($70,000 – $80,000 annualized). Compensation will be based off of experience and local cost of living.
The Shade Room provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristics protected by the federal, state or local laws. The Shade Room is an at-will employer.