Staff Writer, Weekends & Evenings, theshaderoom.com
REMOTE - CA, NY, NJ, TX, GA, NC, DC or MD Locations
Founded in 2014, The Shade Room (TSR) has grown into a leading media powerhouse for breaking news and a trailblazer for reporting all things pop culture. TSR combines investigative entertainment journalism from our writers with crowdsourced journalism from our Roommates to operate a 24/7 news outlet. Our strong community of followers allows us to break away from traditional news delivery by reaching readers directly through their social networks.
As we continue to grow, we are always looking for the best and brightest talent with big ideas. From Social Media content to Video Production, we thrive on creativity! If this sounds like you, we hope you’ll join us.
*PLEASE INCLUDE LINKS TO YOUR PREVIOUS WORK*
WEEKLY WORK SCHEDULE
Sunday: 11:00 am to 7:30 pm ET
Monday: 3:00 pm to 11:30 pm ET
Tuesday: 3:00 pm to 11:30 pm ET
Wednesday: 3:00 pm to 11:30 pm ET
Saturday: 11:00 am to 7:30 pm ET
Reporting to the Managing Editor, the Weekends & Evenings Staff Writer, theshaderoom.com is responsible for creating multiple quick-turnaround stories a day, while also working on longer-lead projects, and helping the team meet daily content frequency goals. This role requires great news judgment from someone who loves and gets Black people and culture across the diaspora, and can work fast without sacrificing quality, accuracy, or personality.
- Write, develop, edit, and publish stories for theshaderoom.com.
- React quickly to breaking news and develop stories based on factual information received.
- Conduct research on assigned topics.
- Fact-check and research viral stories to ensure accuracy.
- Stay abreast on current trending topics that connect with The Shade Room audience and create stories based on trends.
- Attend meetings to delegate tasks.
- Contribute creative and engaging ideas to brainstorm sessions with theshaderoom.com team.
- Ensure all-around consistency (style, fonts, images, and tone) on the website.
- Stay up-to-date on the latest industry trends, software, and digital media compliance.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Great news judgement from someone who loves and gets Black culture across the diaspora.
- The ability to self-edit work.
- Understanding of SEO best practices.
- The ability to make corrections based on notes given.
- A creative writer with the ability to write in a witty, fun and trendy tone to appeal to The Shade Room demographic of 18 – 41 years old.
- Impeccable attention to detail, solid organizational skills, highly motivated, and results-driven.
- The ability to work in a quick-turnaround environment without sacrificing quality, accuracy or personality.
- Experience with popular social media platforms and trends.
- Relationship management; networking skills with the ability to cultivate strong professional relationships with internal and external partners.
- Flexibility in managing multiple responsibilities and assignments simultaneously; ability to meet deadlines; experience managing both urgent, short-term projects and complex, longer-term projects.
- Ability to work holidays as scheduled.
- Ability to work some weekend nights when needed.
- Legal right to work in the US.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
BA in Journalism, English, Communications or related field, preferred but not required. Minimum of 2+ years of professional journalism, communications or social media experience creating content, preferably for a high-output and trusted media brand. Experience using WordPress, Photoshop and/or other photo editing tools.
The Shade Room is a fully remote work environment with a wonderful team of hardworking, innovative and creative people. Our benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401K, 401K match, sick time and paid time off!
This is a full-time and nonexempt position. The hourly rate is $26.44 – $31.97 ($54,995.20 – $66,497.60 annualized). Compensation will be based off of experience and local cost of living.
The Shade Room provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristics protected by the federal, state or local laws. The Shade Room is an at-will employer.
*PLEASE INCLUDE LINKS TO YOUR PREVIOUS WORK*