Student Who Survived Uvalde School Shooting Describes Incident

Fourth Grade Student Who Survived The Uvalde School Shooting Describes The Incident—Officials Say The Shooting Lasted At Least 40 Minutes 

As many people in Uvalde, TX continue to mourn the lives that were unfortunately lost earlier this week, new details about what happened on the day of the shooting at Robb Elementary School are becoming available.

KENS 5 spoke with a fourth-grade student who thankfully survived the shooting. The young boy said,

“When I heard the shooting through the door, I told my friend to hide under something so he won’t find us. I was hiding hard. And I was telling my friend to not talk because he is going to hear us.”

The boy and four other students hid under a table with a tablecloth draped over it, which hid them from the shooter’s view. Officials say the shooter, who was identified as 18-year-old Salvador Ramos, barricaded himself inside a classroom and began shooting those that were in the room.

The young boy also spoke about when police officers arrived and said,

“When the cops came, the cop said: ‘Yell if you need help!’ And one of the persons in my class said ‘help.’ The guy overheard and he came in and shot her. The cop barged into that classroom. The guy shot at the cop. And the cops started shooting.”

The boy, who credits his teachers Irma Garcia and Eva Mireles, for saving their lives, said once he heard the shooting stop, he came from under the table. “I just opened the curtain. And I just put my hand out,” he recalled.  got out with my friend. I knew it was the police. I saw the armor and the shield.”

Irma Garcia and Eva Mireles are two of the victims that unfortunately did not survive the shooting.



The Associated Press reports that the onlookers that were outside the school building became frustrated and urged police officers to enter the building.

Javier Cazares, who unfortunately lost his daughter Jacklyn Cazares in the shooting, said he rushed to the school after hearing about the shooting and saw police officers gathering outside of the building. Upset that the officers outside weren’t entering the building, he proposed the idea of rushing inside the school with other bystanders.

He said, “Let’s just rush in because the cops aren’t doing anything like they are supposed to. More could have been done.”

He added that the officers were not prepared during the incident.

Steve McCraw, the Department of Public Safety Director, told reporters that 40 minutes to an hour progressed from when Ramos arrived at the school and encountered the school security officer to when the tactical team shot him. However, they are still working on a solid time frame of how long the gunman was inside the school and when he was killed.



Want updates directly in your text inbox? Hit us up at 917-722-8057 or click here to join!  



TSR STAFF: Jade Ashley @Jade_Ashley94


Become A Roommate!
Become A Roommate!
TSR Logo

The Latest Tea Sent Daily