RELATED: YNW Melly Double Murder Case In Jeopardy Of Mistrial Due To ‘Hostile Witness’ Tainting The Jury
Jury Deadlocked After Three Days Of Deliberations, Prosecutors Likely To Retry With New Jury
Closing arguments in the trial wrapped up Thursday, NBC Miami reports. Broward Circuit Judge John Murphy had requested the jury to continue deliberations despite the deadlock.
However, Judge Murphy ultimately granted the mistrial after they returned with a deadlock for a third time, the AP reports.
“Our system doesn’t work without getting people from the community to come in here and listen to the facts of the case and make decisions,” Murphy said, according to NBC Miami.
A mistrial occurs “when a jury is unable to reach a verdict, and there must be a new trial with a new jury; there is a serious procedural error or misconduct that would result in an unfair trial, and the judge adjourns the case without a decision on the merits and awards a new trial,” per Cornell Law School.
Meanwhile, prosecutors in Broward County will likely retry the 2018 double-murder case with a new jury. They had been initially seeking the death penalty,
Melly “All Smiles” Following Saturday’s Mistrial, But Attorneys Expected Different Result
In court Saturday, Melly was “all smiles” following the judge’s mistrial decision, as reported by NBC Miami.
His defense attorneys thanked the jury for their time. However, they said they were expecting a different result following Saturday’s hearing, according to Local 10 News.
“We are somewhat disappointed that Melly is not walking out the door with us,” Melly’s Defense Attorney Stuart Adelstein told Local 10 News. “There is a lack of evidence, there is a conflict in the evidence, and the evidence itself and the investigation itself, stinks.”
If you recall, Melly, whose real name is Jamell Demons, is currently facing two first-degree murder charges, as previously reported by The Shade Room.
— Law&Crime Network (@LawCrimeNetwork) July 22, 2023
YNW Melly’s Double-Murder Case: A Brief Background
The 24-year-old rapper is accused of the Oct. 2018 killings of friends and fellow YNW associates 21-year-old Anthony Williams, known as YNW Sakchaser, and 19-year-old Christopher Thomas, known as YNW Juvy.
Prosecutors claim the fatal shootings were gang-related. Meanwhile, Melly’s defense lawyers called that claim into question, citing the fact that Melly and the victims were longtime friends, the AP reports.
The “Murder on My Mind” rapper had previously pleaded not guilty after turning himself in back in 2019.
He’s been held without bond ever since, per Local 10 News. It’s unclear as of Monday (Jul. 24) as to when Melly’s new trial would begin.
This is a developing story. Be sure to check back in with The Shade Room for more updates as they come.