On Thursday a Hennepin County Judge reinstated a charge of third-degree murder against former officer Derek Chauvin, who is responsible for the death of George Floyd. He is already facing charges of second-degree unintentional murder and second-degree manslaughter. The jury selection for his trial took place earlier this week and the trial is scheduled to start on March 29th.
According to CNN, the additional charge will allow prosecutors to have a third possible way to convict Chauvin.
Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison said in a statement, “The charge of 3rd-degree murder, in addition to manslaughter and felony murder, reflects the gravity of the allegations against Mr. Chauvin. We look forward to presenting all three charges to the jury.”
Chauvin was originally facing a third-degree murder charge for the killing of George Floyd. However, the charge was previously dismissed by Hennepin County District Court Judge Peter Cahill, who said it didn’t apply to the case.
However, last month, an appeals court ruling in the case against former Minneapolis Police officer Mohamed Noor allowed the chance to reinstate the third-degree murder charge against Chauvin. Causing the state to file an appeal of Judge Cahill’s previous ruling. On Thursday, Judge Cahill accepted the appeals court’s ruling and reinstated the charge.
Eric Nelson, Chauvin’s attorney argued that Mohamed Noor’s case was “factually and procedurally different than Chauvin’s interactions with Floyd.”
As many of you know, George Floyd was killed last May when Chauvin was seen on video kneeling on his neck as he yelled for him to get off because he couldn’t breathe. Chauvin is one of the four officers that have been charged for George Floyd’s death.
Want updates directly in your text inbox? Hit us up at 917-722-8057 or click here to join!
TSR STAFF: Jade Ashley @Jade_Ashley94