Illinois authorities are moving swiftly to bring justice to the lives lost on July 4. As of Tuesday, the Highland Park shooter faces seven counts of first-degree murder. Lake County State Attorney Eric Rinehart delivered the news during an evening press conference. As previously reported, Robert E. Crimo III fired multiple rounds of a weapon resembling an AR-15 into a crowd at a holiday parade in Chicago. Ultimately, seven adults died, and dozens sustained injuries.
“These are just the first of many charges that will be filed against Mr. Crimo, I want to emphasize that,” the AG said.
AG Eric estimated that accused gunman Robert will likely face “dozens of more charges centering around each of the victims.” These charges will include attempted murder and aggravated discharge, and battery.
Robert virtually appeared before a judge on Wednesday morning. The 21-year-old will remain behind bars without bond, awaiting his preliminary hearing on July 28. At the hearing, an assistant state’s attorney said Robert voluntarily confessed to firing into the crowd to law enforcement via a statement.
What Police Know About The Accused Shooter’s Attack
So far, police believe Robert acted alone but planned the attack weeks in advance. On Tuesday, Chris Covelli, Major Crimes Task Force spokesperson, gave additional updates about Robert’s attack. Robert disguised himself as a woman to blend in with the parade crowd, which unfortunately worked.
“He blended right in with everybody else as they were running around, almost as (if) he was an innocent spectator as well,” Chris said.
Investigators are still piecing together a motive, but police say the attack doesn’t seem to be racism or religion-motived at this time.
What is known is that Robert got on the roof of a business using the fire escape ladder. He positioned himself on the roof, and, from there, he fired more than 70 rounds toward parade viewers.
Robert allegedly later used the crowd commotion to help his escape to his mother’s house. He then took his mother’s car, but police arrested him after a community tip led them to the vehicle.
Here’s The List Of Victims In The Parade Shooting
On Tuesday, AG Eric said Robert faces a mandatory life sentence if the court convicts him on the charges. According to Lake County Coroner Jennifer Banek, the identified victims are Katherine Goldstein (64), Irina McCarthy (35), Kevin McCarthy (37), Jacquelyn Sundheim (63), and Stephen Straus (88), and Nicolas Toledo-Zaragoza (78). The seventh victim passed away in a hospital outside the county, per Jennifer.
Want updates directly in your text inbox? Hit us up at 917-722-8057 or click here to join!