Roommates, we are still keeping those affected by the building collapse that took place in Miami last week, lifted in prayer. More updates behind the tragedy continue to come in as they search for victims. As of Wednesday, the death toll has increased to 16 people as rescue units continue to search for more of those who are reported missing.
As we previously reported, on Tuesday, 12 fatalities were confirmed, and by early Wednesday, four more bodies were located increasing the toll to 16.
According to the Miami Herald, Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said only 12 families have been notified of their family members’ deaths. There have been139 people accounted for, but another 147 are still reported missing. Engineers and first responders built a ramp overnight on Tuesday to bring cranes and other equipment to help with the search process.
Alan Cominsky, Miami-Dade Fire Chief acknowledged that as they continue to search for victims things are becoming hard as debris moves and shifts or falls from the part of the building that is still standing. He said, “They’re crumbling as we try to move them,” as he spoke about the large pieces of debris that they are trying to move as they continue their search.
Margarita Castro, a firefighter and one of the members of the search team expressed how heartbreaking the situation has been and added, “We talk to each other. Sometimes all you can do is find a small, quiet corner and just cry for a little while, and let some of that out, let some of that pressure that you’ve got building up. Release some of that pressure. We each have our moments of strength. We each have our moments of weakness.”
Florida Governor Ron DeSantis also said, “Rest assured that those folks are going to be working on that pile, and it’s not going to stop, and they’re going to get answers one way or another.”