#Roommates, it’s only been a few days since Derek Chauvin was found guilty on all counts for the murder of George Floyd—and apparently his legal troubles are far from over. According to recent reports, Derek Chauvin is now on the radar of the Department of Justice, as it is strongly considering charging him for an incident involving a Black teen where he used his knee to once again implement excessive force.
@ABCNews reports, on September 4, 2017, Derek Chauvin was shown in a series of videos hitting a Black male teenager in the head with so much force that the boy needed stitches—he then continued his assault by holding the young boy down with his knee for nearly 17 minutes, while also ignoring his pleas that he couldn’t breathe. After arriving on the scene of the incident, Chauvin hit the boy in the head with his flashlight within seconds of his arrival, grabbed his throat, hit him again and “applied a neck restraint, causing the child to lose consciousness and go to the ground,” according to Minneapolis prosecutor Mark Frank’s account of the videos. Frank continued, adding “Chauvin and [the other officer] placed [the teenager] in the prone position and handcuffed him behind his back while the teenager’s mother pleaded with them not to kill her son and told her son to stop resisting. About a minute after going to the ground, the child began repeatedly telling the officers that he could not breathe, and his mother told Chauvin to take his knee off her son.”
During his recent trial, Minnesota prosecutors where informed that they couldn’t bring this incident up, but unfortunately for Chauvin, the U.S. Department of Justice is looking into taking legal action. The Department of Justice is now officially considering charging Derek Chauvin for the incident that is eerily similar to the way that he ultimately murdered George Floyd last May. Officials at the Minneapolis Police Department were recently informed of the DOJ’s interest in the 2017 incident—only days before the DOJ announced it full investigation of the Minneapolis Police Department’s policing practices. “We will assist the DOJ with anything that they need, and the chief has pledged full cooperation with any investigating agency,” MPD spokesman John Elder said.
As we previously reported, Derek Chauvin was found guilty on all counts after a jury deliberated for just 10 hours to decide his fate. Following the announcement of the verdict, his bail was revoked and his was transferred to a Minnesota Correctional Facility.
His sentencing is scheduled to begin within the next eight weeks.
Want updates directly in your text inbox? Hit us up at 917-722-8057 or click here to join!