On Friday it was announced that the city of Minneapolis reached a settlement of $27 million with George Floyd’s family.
According to CBS News, the Minneapolis City Council approved the settlement with a 13-0 vote. A total of $500,000 will be going to the George Floyd Memorial site at 38th and Chicago.
As many of you know, Geroge Floyd was killed last May and the incident was captured on camera as people were able to see former officer Derek Chauvin kneeling on his neck for a total of nine minutes as George called for him to get off of his neck because he could not breathe.
Earlier this week, it was announced that a judge has reinstated a third-degree murder charge against Chauvin, along with the second-degree unintentional murder and second-degree manslaughter charges he was already facing. His trial is scheduled to begin on March 29th. The other three officers that were involved with the fatal arrest were charged with aiding and abetting and will be tried jointly in August.
George Floyd’s family filed a lawsuit against the city of Minneapolis last July, as they alleged that the four former officers that were involved in his fatal arrest violated his rights when they restrained him.
Minneapolis Mayor, Jacob Frey, said that the settlement “reflected a commitment to advance racial justice” and thanked George Floyd’s family for teaming up with the city for a reform course of action.
Attorney Ben Crump, who represents George Floyd’s family, said, “The family of George Floyd and our legal team are very grateful to Mayor Frey and the city council for not just saying you care about George Floyd, but showing that you care about George Floyd — not just saying that black lives matter, but showing the world that black lives matter.”
View this post on Instagram
Want updates directly in your text inbox? Hit us up at 917-722-8057 or click here to join!
TSR STAFF: Jade Ashley @Jade_Ashley94